MARTA continually makes significant
contributions to improving the environment and the quality of life in this
region. In March 2023,
MARTA’s environmental accomplishments included attaining the goal of achieving
ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System multi-site certification for
MARTA’s five bus maintenance facilities, four heavy and light rail maintenance
facilities, and two administrative facilities. The Authority’s environmental program ensures MARTA’s commitment to compliance
with environmental statutes, regulations, & other MARTA requirements. It
also provides safe and cost-effective pollution prevention measures by
controlling and minimizing the disposal of waste or emissions
generated/released from MARTA operations and construction.
EMS POLICY STATEMENT
“MARTA is committed to preserving and improving the environmental well-being of the community; providing a safe and healthful workplace; and enhancing the overall quality of life of the people living in the region.”
Definition of EMS
- A set of processes and practices used to manage environmental
activities, products, or services that interact with the environment
assist in fulfilling compliance obligations, address risks and
opportunities, and increase operating efficiency.
Goals of EMS
- Improve the use of resources and management of
environmental impacts with life-cycle considerations.
- Reduce the risk of non-compliance and unwanted escapes
with performance monitoring.
- Improve public perception and relations through greater
commitment and involvement of top management in MARTA’s EMS program.
- Heighten awareness of MARTA’s environmental impact
- Manage MARTA’s environmental risks and opportunities.
- MARTA is registered under ISO 14001:2015 as a multi-site organization with PRI Registrar, an accredited ANAB registrar.
For Additional Information